So I'm sure that most all of us have a Facebook and use Facebook. But I had never really thought about the history behind Facebook. I know that they have made the movie The Social Network that showed the story behind the creator of Facebook Mark Zuckerberg, but I haven't seen it so I'm going to talk a little bit about the history of Facebook
Facebook was created in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg who was a student at Harvard. But before he created the computer programming for Facebook, he created something else that ended up getting him in trouble at Harvard. He created a site called Facemash in 2003 for Harvard Students, which was almost like a hotness raiting site that compared 2 pictures of students and allowed the person to pick which one was hotter. To create this he had to hack into the server and copy the id's of all the students, and the site only lasted a few days before it was shut down by the Harvard Administration and Zuckerberg was charged with several serious charges that were later dropped.
After this site was shut down, Zuckerberg created a new site called thefacebook.com and was quickly accused by some by his freinds that Zuckerberg used their ideas about creating a social network for Harvard stuents when he created thefacebook.com, but the lawsuit was later settled. At first it was only available to Harvard students, and then it moved to Standford, Columbia, and Yale, and then eventually moved to most colleges and universities in the U.S. and Canada.
Facebook really took off in the summer of 2004 when it appointed Sean Parker as its president and moved to Palo Alto, California.
After a year of just being available to college students, Facebook launched a high school version in 2005 and has now spread across the world and has become what it is today
No comments:
Post a Comment