Now that we all most likely have the newest version of Facebook, I'm sure that most of us have noticed the new options for our relationship status. Instead of the original options of "single", "in a relationship", "engaged", or "married" there are now two more options that have been added: "in a domestic partnership" and "in a civil union".
When I noticed this on Facebook I thought it was really interesting that Facebook was willing to evolve with the times and include options that try and accommodate everyone. I googled this topic and came across that talked about the new relationship options.
One thing that I learned from the article I read was the an organization by the name of The Gay & Lesbian Alliance against Defamation partnered with Facebook to make this change. By partnering with Facebook, this organization hopes to raise awareness for the LGBT community so they can take more steps forward in the future.
There was one quote from the article that I really liked:
“I don’t think Mark Zuckerberg is waving a rainbow flag around, but I think it shows you don’t have to be on the same lines or totally agree to be tolerant or accepting,”
I really agree with this statement, and I'm glad that such a popular social networking site like Facebook agrees too. Just because you don't 100% agree with someones way of life doesn't mean that you should exclude them. Facebook realized that there are many different kinds of relationships in this world, and instead of discriminating against some of them they decided to try their best to include everyone
I had no idea that there were these two new options. That is so cool! I think that Facebook is doing a good thing here and promoting the acceptence of the gay community. People should be able to be in a relationship with whoever they please. This is a very interesting discovery since Facebook is something we are all involved with!
ReplyDeleteI also noticed this and was very impressed. I have a slightly biased view of Mark Zuckerberg after seeing the social network (I mean, he was a total ass) so that quote you included really amuses me because it is so true. You don't have to be wearing a "Gay? Fine by me" shirt to be accepting of everyone. I don't think the gay community is searching for adoration, but just acceptance.
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you worded your reaction"Just because you don't 100% agree with someones way of life doesn't mean that you should exclude them." I wish the government could take this same view on the matter. That is a whole other topic in itself, but acceptance is all the LBGT community asks for. Many dont want to change the way people think of them, just that they leave them be for who they are. If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all, people forget that lesson when they say hurtful things to people. I am appalled by some of the things people say, you forget how powerful your words are.
ReplyDeleteI think Facebook is making a strong stand by adding those options.
I am actually really glad they added those new options. However, it doesn't just help those who happen to be in the LBGT community it also helps other straight people with different opinions on marriage. My cousin and her significant other have been together for about 10 years have two beautiful kids together but are not married. They believe that they do not have to get married in order to be happy. So I noticed they changed their relationship status to "In a domestic partnership". So even though it is great for the LGBT community, it is also great for everyone who has maybe a slightly different view on relationships and love then the "typical western person"
ReplyDeleteI also saw these new changes with Facebook and was actually extremely excited. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with being gay, and I strongly believe that. I feel like you should be aloud to love whoever it may be. I think it is excellent that such a huge social network is accepting of this and hopefully it helps to expand acceptance.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that facebook had made these changes. I think it is awesome that facebook, is helping out the LBGT community, and raising awareness. For quite some time it seems like this part of our community is alienated, and neglected. Facebook is now such a huge part of our current culture, I feel like this change in Facebook is showing that out communities are changing as well. People are starting to accept the LBGT community, and even embrace it.
ReplyDelete